Now recruiting volunteers for 2024!
Community Food Education (CFE) seeks class assistants to provide behind-the-scenes support for our youth cooking classes in school classrooms.
Community Food Education (CFE)
Solid Ground’s Youth Education team partners with area elementary schools to provide high-quality nutrition education to students. This education takes several forms depending on student age, interests, and needs – primarily in-classroom cooking and garden lessons, as well as family events and afterschool activities.
Youth Education Class Assistant
Volunteer class assistants help Youth Educators with classroom setup, food preparation, managing class flow, and cleanup. Other duties may include unloading and loading kitchen equipment and washing dishes between classes. Classes can be one-time or a series. At sites with more than one classroom, classes are held back-to-back with short breaks in between.
Classes are typically between 45 minutes to 1 hour long and take place at various times during the school day (9am-3pm). The number of classes per day depends on the number of classrooms at a site (usually between 1 and 3 classrooms). Timing varies depending on the school; please email firstname.lastname@example.org for exact days and times.
Once you attend a Solid Ground Volunteer Orientation and complete the volunteer application process, we’ll ask you to get your Food Worker Card. After that, you’ll be able to sign up for any open volunteer class positions.
- Must be at least 18 years old. Email email@example.com to find volunteer roles for those under 18.
- Willingness and ability to work with people from a variety of racial, cultural and economic backgrounds, with various lifestyles, sexual orientations, and of all ages.
- Interest in food justice/food security, cooking, and nutrition education.
- Ability to be nonjudgmental, positive, respectful, creative, consistent, and flexible.
- Willingness to work both as part of a team and independently.
- Comfortable working with children.
- Knowledge of vegetables, cooking, and gardening a plus but not required.