Welcome to Resource Wire for September 20 through 27, 2023! This is your source for the latest news and updates about community resources and opportunities for folks living on low incomes in Seattle and King County.
This week’s #ResourceWire is stuffed full of job and job-training opportunities, including free college credit programs, tech training, job fairs, a youth employment program, and other employment assistance programs. Many of these opportunities are coming up in the next week, so if you’ve been wanting to make more money, or even get back into the workforce, now’s the time to see what free resources are out there!
Want to get the latest edition of Resource Wire emailed directly to you each week? Sign up for the Resource Wire newsletter now!
~NEW THIS WEEK~
YOUTH RESOURCE & JOB FAIR
WHEN: Wednesday, September 20, 3:30-5:30pm
WHERE: Greenbridge Learning Center, 9720 8th AVE SW Seattle, WA 98106
WHAT: This is an opportunity for youth ages 16 and above to have a chance to meet job recruiters and explore career and education opportunities for success.
QUESTIONS? Contact Alex Khem at 206.670.6775 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
FREE TECH TRAINING
WHEN: Informational session Friday, September 22, 2023, 3-4pm
WHERE: Congolese Integration Network, 19550 International Blvd, Ste 103, SeaTac, WA 98188
WHAT: The Congolese Integration Network is now offering free tech trainings for better paying jobs in the tech sector. You’ll receive hands-on technical training, free industry certifications, professional skills development, and job connections.
MORE INFO: Download the Congolese Integration Network tech training flyer.
FREE COLLEGE CERTIFICATE CREDITS
WHEN: Register by Friday, September 22, 2023. Classes start Monday, September 25, and Wednesday, September 27, 2023.
WHERE: In-person at Sea-Tac Airport University Classroom
WHAT: Sea-Tac Airport is offering two fall courses that allow you to earn college credits toward certificates at Highline College. Classes are available to airport employees and other community members looking for jobs at SEA Airport, as space is available.
- International Business: Earn 5 credits toward an International Trade & Logistics Certificate. Mondays, September 25 – December 11, 2023, 2:30-4:30pm.
- Communications Essentials: Earn 2 credits toward an Introduction to Business Technology Certificate. Wednesdays, September 27 – December 13, 2023, 11:30am-12:30pm.
TO REGISTER: Go to the Airport University Registration Form.
QUESTIONS: Email email@example.com or call 206.258.8980.
MORE INFO: Download the Airport University college credit flyer for fall 2023.
HOUSING & EMPLOYMENT HELP
WHEN: Monday-Thursday, 10am-3pm.
WHAT: Mysti’s Adult and Family Services has a program with benefits for supportive housing and supported employment for people with Medicaid. If you qualify, Mysti’s will work with you to help you find and maintain a job and stable independent housing.
GET HELP: Call 1.800.524.4827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
MORE INFO: Download the Mysti’s flyer.
WHAT TO DO ABOUT MOLD IN YOUR APARTMENT
WHEN: Wednesday, September 27, 2023, 5-6:30pm
WHERE: Zoom; register for link.
WHAT: Mold is a serious problem in the Pacific Northwest. In this webinar, you’ll find out why – plus how to treat and prevent it. You’ll learn…
- How to recognize when a house has a mold problem.
- Owner responsibilities to solve repair problems.
- What you should do as a tenant.
- What you can do if your landlord doesn’t fix the problem.
A visiting attorney from the Tenant Law Center will also be on hand to help with answering questions.
NEW HOURS FOR KING COUNTY 2.1.1.
WHEN: Changes start October 2, 2023
WHAT: Due to increasing demand, King County 211 is reducing its operational hours from 8am-6pm to 9am-5pm. Starting Monday, October 2, you will see these changes:
- Service Hours: Live call, text, chat, and email support will be available from 9 am to 5pm. On-demand texting and databases remain available 24/7.
- Client Experience: The new model ensures more staff during peak periods, streamlining response times.
- Staffing: Full-time staff will retain their weekly hours, with schedules adapted to the new operational window.
- Community Living Connections: With dedicated funding, the CLC line will maintain its 8 am to 6 pm schedule.
QUESTIONS? Go to King County 2.1.1.
~UPCOMING/CURRENT COMMUNITY OPPORTUNITIES & RESOURCES~
FREE MEDICAL CARE FOR PEOPLE EXPERIENCING HOMELESSNESS
WHEN: Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2023, 10am-2 pm
WHERE: Seattle Central Library, 1000 4th Ave, Seattle
WHAT: King County’s Mobile Medical Program provides walk-in care for people who are living homeless (or were recently homeless) only. Please try to arrive at least one hour before the scheduled end time for the clinic. On rare occasions the clinic will close earlier than the scheduled time. Call the Mobile Van nursing lines if you would like to confirm the clinic end time for a particular day.
Please note: Sites and available services are subject to change due to Mobile Medical’s involvement in the COVID-19 response. Please check King County’s Mobile Medical Care webpage for the latest information, including upcoming dates in September.
Upcoming Seattle dates:
- Thursday, Sept. 21, 2023, 10am-2pm, Ballard Food Bank, 1400 Leary Way NW, Seattle
- Friday, Sept. 22, 2023, 10am-2 pm, St. Vincent de Paul Food Bank, 5972 4th Ave S, Seattle
- Wednesday, Sept. 27, 2023, 11am-3pm, Uplift Northwest, 2515 Western Ave, Seattle
Upcoming South King County dates:
- Thursday, Sept. 21, 2023, 3-6pm, Salvation Army, 720 S Tobin St, Renton (Dental available)
- Monday, Sept. 25, 2023, 3-7pm, Kent Lutheran Church, 336 2nd Ave S, Kent
- Tuesday, Sept. 26, 2023, 10am-2pm, Calvary Lutheran Church, 2415 S 320th St, Federal Way (Dental available)
- Wednesday, Sept. 27, 2023, 11am-3pm, Riverton Park United Methodist Church, 3118 S 140th St, Tukwila
MORE INFO: Go to King County Mobile Medical Care or call 206.330.6775 for the Seattle Medical Van or 206.549.5562 for the South King County Medical Van.
RAINIER VALLEY JOB FAIR
WHEN: Wednesday, September 20, 2023, 1:30-4:30pm
WHERE: WorkSource Rainier, Room 100, 2531 Rainier Ave South, Seattle, WA 98144
WHAT: Meet with recruiters from nearly a dozen employers, including UPS, Fred Meyer, Seattle Public Utilities, and Waste Management.
MORE INFO: Go to WorkSource Rainier Job Fair & Networking Event
SEATTLE YOUTH EMPLOYMENT PROGRAM
WHEN: Applications due Wednesday, September 20, 2023. Program starts Monday, October 23, 2023.
WHAT: The Seattle Youth Employment Program (SYEP) supports young people (ages 16 to 24) from qualifying-income households and communities that experience racial, social, and economic disparities. In the Learn & Earn Programs, participants identify professional interests, gain marketable skills, are exposed to various career fields, and build their social network. Students receive stipends based on their quarterly participation during the school year.
TO APPLY: Go to Welcome to the Seattle Youth Employment Program.
FREE & LOW-COST VETERINARY CARE
WHEN: Friday, September 22, 2023, 11am-2pm
WHERE: Village on Casino Road, 14 E Casino Rd, Everett, WA
WHAT: Seattle Veterinary Outreach provides veterinary care for free to people experiencing homelessness and at a reduced cost for people living on low incomes. The organization is also currently partnering with Public Health – Seattle King County to provide free COVID vaccinations and booster shots to anyone regardless of income.
Veterinary care is provided on a first-come, first-served service. Pet owners are encouraged to arrive between 10-10:30am to secure a place in line.
This service is reserved for those experiencing homelessness or living with a low income, which is verified at clinics. Pet owners should bring their SNAP, EBT, WIC, SSI, or TANF cards. Alternatively, a letter confirming that the pet owner is living in subsidized housing or receiving housing vouchers is also acceptable.
Additional upcoming dates:
- Wednesday, September 27, 11am-2pm, Shoreline Library, 345 NE 175th St, Shoreline, WA
MORE INFO: Visit the Seattle Veterinary Outreach Clinic Calendar.
KENT RESOURCE FAIR
WHERE: Green River Community College, 417 Ramsay Way #112, Kent, WA
WHEN: Saturday, September 23, 12-3pm
WHAT: Free food, lunchboxes, vaccines, community resources, and players from the Seattle Seahawks.
MORE INFO: Download the Partners in Community Change flyer for September 2023.
MEDICARE OPEN ENROLLMENT
WHEN: October 15 to December 7, 2023
WHAT: Medicare Open Enrollment is the only time of the year for people with Medicare coverage to make changes to their health and drug plans for the next year. New coverage begins January 1, 2024.
September and October are the time to review and compare ahead of open enrollment:
- Review: Your plan may change. Review any notices from your plan about changes for next year.
- Compare: Do your research. Find and compare plans to meet your needs.
Ways to get help:
- Medicare will mail out Medicare & You 2024 handbooks in late September. Look over this booklet to see new listings of plans in your area. Review any information you get from your current plan, including the “Annual Notice of Change” letter.
- Starting October 15, Statewide Health Insurance Benefits Advisors (SHIBA) volunteers can help you compare plans for open enrollment! Call or email to get free, personalized health insurance counseling at 206.753.4806 or email@example.com.
MORE INFO: Go to Medicare & Medigap Help.
GET STOLEN FOOD BENEFITS BACK
WHEN: Some claims must be filed by October 22, 2023.
WHAT: If your food benefits were stolen through skimming, cloning, or similar fraudulent activity, you may be able to get them replaced thanks to a recent act of Congress.
Customers who had food benefits stolen between Oct. 1, 2022 and Aug. 22, 2023 have until Oct. 22, 2023 to submit a claim. Otherwise, they must submit the claim within 30 days of discovering the loss.
Cash benefits cannot be replaced at this time, but customers are encouraged to continue to report theses thefts so they can be tracked.
FILE YOUR CLAIM: Claims can be submitted in person in a Community Service Office, by phone through the Customer Service Contact Center (877.501.2233), online through MyDocs, or by mail or by fax of a completed DSHS Claim of Stolen EBT Benefits form.
MORE INFO: Go to Online Community Services Office (CSO) – Latest News or see the EBT Card Skimming brochure for information on how to protect EBT cards from skimming.
CASH FOR YOUR FAMILY: GET YOUR WORKING FAMILIES TAX CREDIT
WHEN: Apply by December 31, 2023
WHAT: Washington state has already paid out more than $62 million to 84,000 individuals and families under the new Working Families Tax Credit. Individuals and families can receive up to $1,200 if they meet certain eligibility requirements. Applications will be accepted through the end of the year.
Get help filing your application:
- Check out free application events to find out if there is one near you.
- Get help from a partner organization in your area.
- Or check out additional free resources.
You can also check on the status of your application using the using the “Where’s my Refund?” Tool.
QUESTIONS? If you need additional help, call 360.763.7300 Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm, or visit one of 12 field offices.
RENT SMART/¡INQUILINOS INTELIGENTES!
WHEN: English sessions are held twice monthly (once in November and December) on Wednesday afternoons. Spanish sessions are held monthly on Thursdays, 5:30-6:45pm.
WHAT: Virtual Renters’ Rights Webinar Series
Rent Smart Webinars in English
- 9/27/23: Mold & Your Rights as a Tenant
- 10/11/23: Getting Your Landlord to Make Repairs
- 10/25/23: Breaking a Lease
- 11/15/23: Pests & Infestations in a Rental
- 12/13/23: General Tenant Information
¡Inquilinos Inteligentes! Talleres Virtuales en Español
- 9/28/23: Lo que necesita saber sobre la mudanza de su alquiler actual
- 10/26/34: Necesito romper mi contrato de arrendamiento
- 11/9/23: Violencia Doméstica – Conozca sus derechos
- 12/7/23: Información General: Aprender los conceptos básicos
NEED MORE HELP?
- King County residents being threatened with eviction can contact the Housing Justice Project for legal assistance at 253.234.4204 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Washington State residents can visit Solid Ground’s For Tenants website for self-help information, or call Solid Ground’s Tenant Services Voice Message Line, currently open for messages Mondays and Thursdays, 10:30am – 1:30pm (hours and days are subject to change): 206.694.6767 | TTY: 7.1.1
¿NECESITA MÁS AYUDA?
- Si actualmente vive en el Condado de King y está siendo amenazado con el desalojo, comuníquese con el Proyecto de Justicia de Vivienda para obtener asistencia legal 253.234.4204 o email@example.com.
- Los Residentes del Estado de Washington pueden visitar el sitio web Para Inquilinos de Solid Ground para obtener información de autoayuda, o llamar a la línea mensajes de voz de servicios para Inquilinos de Solid Ground cual es abierta los lunes o jueves de 10:30 a.m. a 1:30 p.m. (las horas y los días están sujetos a cambios): 206.694.6767 | TTY: 7.1.1
Rent Smart is offered in partnership with Solid Ground’s Tenant Services and the King County Library System (KCLS). / ¡Inquilinos Inteligentes! se ofrece en asociación con los Servicios para Inquilinos de Solid Ground y La Sistema Biblioteca del Condado de King (KCLS).
~JOBS WITH SOLID GROUND~
DRIVE FOR GOOD! WEEKLY JOB FAIR FOR SOLID GROUND DRIVERS
WHEN: Every Thursday, 8am-5pm
WHERE: Solid Ground Transportation, 8100 8th Ave S, Seattle, WA 98108
WHAT: Be a part of making life easier for those living with disabilities in our communities. Join our team of drivers who provide ACCESS bus services to people who can’t use Metro’s fixed-route system, helping people get to critically needed health and human services resources, and connecting people with their communities.
Solid Ground Transportation offers:
- $18.94 per hour with $2,000 Hiring Bonus
- Flexible schedule
- Part-time & full-time options
- No CDL requirement
- Paid training
- Opportunities for long-term career growth beyond driving!
- Full benefits (Paid Leave, Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability, 401k Matching, Employee Assistance Program, Flexible Spending Account, and Life Insurance)
TO APPLY NOW: Go to the Solid Ground Bus Operator job description and scroll down to How to Apply for application materials.
QUESTIONS? Call 206.694.6817 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
SOLID GROUND JOB BOARD
WHAT: Join the Solid Ground team and help us fight poverty and dismantle systems of oppression! We’re currently seeking candidates for these positions:
- JourneyHome Rapid Rehousing Case Manager
- Residential Advocate – Sand Point Family (Day, Swing, and Grave Shifts available)
- Maintenance Specialist ($2,000 Hiring Bonus)
QUESTIONS? Learn more about Solid Ground and see other open positions on the Solid Ground Careers page.
~ONGOING COMMUNITY RESOURCES~
When you need help, it can be difficult to know where to start. That’s why we put together lists of Ongoing Community Resources in King County for help with things like housing, food, childcare, transportation, employment, and more. Click on the topics below to jump to these ongoing resources posted on our Resource Wire webpage.