Making homemade bread is a great way to save some money at the store and the taste is exceptional! With a few simple ingredients, you can make your own bread at home, with whole grain flour to pack this loaf full of fiber, healthy fats, and other nutrients.
While a loaf of bread typically costs $2-6, making a loaf at home costs $0.33-1.58. Making bread can take some time, but kneading the dough can be incredibly cathartic, and it can be exciting to see the loaf grow! Try this recipe with your kids and have them mix, knead, and watch the dough grow before their eyes!
Prep time 30 min | Cook time 40 min | Total time 2.5 hours | Yield: 1 loaf of bread, around 12 1/2-inch slices
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup warm (115-125°F) water
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 2¼ tsp yeast
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp softened butter or oil (plus some oil for the bowl)
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients. Once mixed together into a ball, knead on a floured surface for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl and let rise 20-45 minutes, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Oil a 9×5″ loaf pan, place the dough into it and let rise another 20-45 minutes, until doubled again. Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Bake at 450°F for 10 minutes, then turn down the oven to 350°F and bake about 30 minutes more.
- Remove the loaf to a cooling rack and let cool completely before cutting.
Try it yourself and tell us about it in the comments!
Solid Ground’s Community Food Education (CFE) program hosts cooking and nutrition classes to support healthy and holistic living on a budget. The CFE team created this series of cooking videos to offer resources, tips, and tricks that you can practice at home. Visit our Food and Nutrition and Coronavirus Food Resources webpages for more food and nutrition info and resources.