In July 2017, Solid Ground’s Board of Directors unanimously endorsed I-940, De-Escalate Washington. I-940 is an initiative to the Washington State Legislature that would reduce violence in our communities and build bridges between communities and police.
Getting I-940 on the 2018 ballot, and then passing it, would mean that the police, who we entrust to serve and protect us, will have the training, understanding and tools they need – and deserve to have – to better deal with the very challenging situations they face on a daily basis. It means that if situations do go awry and police use deadly force, there would be a better chance that those impacted by that force could survive. It means there would be more transparency in investigations into the use of force and the possibility of true accountability.
The initiative needs to submit about 260,000 signatures by December 29, 2017 to go to state lawmakers for the 2018 legislative session. Lawmakers could then approve I-940, deny it (in which case it would go on the 2018 ballot), or amend the proposal (in which case both the original and amended version would go to voters). Signatures must be collected on paper petitions only, not electronically.
WAYS to TAKE ACTION!
- Request petitions! Either stop by Solid Ground’s Wallingford headquarters building at 1501 North 45th Street, Seattle, WA 98103 to pick some up, or email email@example.com to have petitions mailed to you.
- Sign a petition yourself. Write down the address where you are registered to vote and receive your ballot.
- Gather signatures! Ask your family members, neighbors and friends to sign it. Every signature makes a big difference.
- As a petition gatherer, you must also complete the gray section on the back of the petition, even if you are the only signer.
- Fold it up, put a stamp on it, and return it to the De-Escalate Washington Campaign by the last week of December. Petitions do not have to be full to be returned.
- Like/follow De-Escalate Washington on Facebook, and then share their page/posts with your friends.
- Follow De-Escalate WA on Twitter and retweet their messages with these hashtags: #Signi940 #i940NOW #DeEscalateWA
Solid Ground Media on 1-940:
- Want police to de-escalate situations? Support this 11/13/17, Crosscut by Gordon McHenry, Jr., Solid Ground President & CEO
- Join the movement to reduce police violence! 10/2/17, Groundviews, by Gordon McHenry, Jr.
- Solid Ground endorses De-Escalate Washington (I-940) 7/11/17, Groundviews, by Gordon McHenry, Jr.