Provide educational and healing group activities or workshops for adult and youth residents.
About Broadview Shelter & Transitional Housing
Broadview provides secure, confidential housing for parents with kids who’ve survived domestic violence (DV) and are moving out of homelessness. Using a trauma-informed care model, we help families address the issues that led to their housing loss, develop a strong community support system, and find and secure permanent housing. Volunteers play an important role at Broadview!
Broadview Activity Volunteer
Provide a safe, supervised space, and help program staff develop and lead healing and/or educational activities for adults or youth. Examples of activities include yoga, art therapy (e.g., collaging, painting, handicrafts, etc.), dance, or music. Volunteers who want to share skills or expertise in specific areas (e.g., financial literacy, STEM, résumé writing, etc.) are also welcome to lead workshops. Bring us your skills, and Solid Ground staff will vet programing ideas with the residents at Broadview!
This opportunity is ongoing. Volunteers must commit to 1-2 hours per week. Activities can be scheduled anytime from 10am – 3pm on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Friday. Program staff will work with volunteers to create a consistent schedule that fits their needs.
- Must be at least 18 years old and not in high school.
- Knowledge and experience with crafts, therapy, or other skills and subject areas that can help facilitate healing and/or promote continued growth and learning.
- Experience teaching or facilitating activities for groups.
- Experience with children appreciated but not required.
- Sensitivity to the concerns of parents and children living on low incomes who are in crisis or transition.
- Willingness and ability to work with people from a variety of racial, cultural, and economic backgrounds, with various lifestyles, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities, and of all ages.
- Ability to be nonjudgmental, resourceful, creative, consistent, and flexible.
- Willingness to work as part of a team and independently.