The Seattle Downtown Circulator Buses provide riders with free and satisfactory service while commuting through downtown.
The Circulator has been up and running on Mondays through Fridays on a fixed 4.5-mile route around downtown since 2012. With seven stops in proximity to services such as the Downtown Emergency Service Center (DESC) and Harborview Medical Center, the Circulator serves as an alternative for commuting in downtown.
During a two-week span from February 12 to 23, a total of 224 riders were surveyed on what they think about the Circulator. Over 90% of riders indicated that the Circulator meets their needs and they consider the drivers to be helpful. In assessing their experiences, a majority of riders indicated that they were satisfied with their trips with an overall satisfaction of 4.6 on a scale from 1-5. A majority of riders use the service for an average of five times a week and over half use it for medical purposes. Many riders also use the service for food, other services and just as a way of commuting.
“It’s a proficient service for getting around,” one rider shared. Others shared that the Circulator is “very convenient,” “helpful” and has “great service.”
Here are some notable results:
Why do riders partake in the service?
Out of 528 total responses with the option of choosing multiple choices…
- 116 (22%) ⇒ medical purposes
- 99 (18.8%) ⇒ food
- 98 (18.6%) ⇒ services
- 95 (18%) ⇒ commute
- 65 (12.3%) ⇒ housing
- 55 (10.4%) ⇒ other
Overall rider satisfaction with service
Some of the most notable results:
- Out of 180 responses, the average wait time is 9 minutes.
- Out of 213 responses, 211 (94%) consider their trip(s) satisfactory.
- Out of 209 responses, 207 (92.4%) consider their drivers to be helpful.
- Out of 217 responses, 209 (93.3%) think that the Circulator meets their needs in the Downtown Seattle area.
- Out of 216 responses, 118 (53.6%) would rather have access to the existing Circulator than regular bus service at a discounted fare bus service.
- Out of 218 responses, the average overall satisfaction was 4.6 on a scale of 1-5.
How often do riders ride the Circulator and other Metro services?
- Out of 191 responses, 5 times per week is the average frequency of Circulator rides.
- Out of 182 responses, 6 times per week is the average frequency of rides on other Metro services.
How can we improve the Circulator?
Out of 351 total responses with the option of choosing multiple choices…
- 132 (37.6%) riders ⇒ weekend service
- 85 (24.2%) riders ⇒ expanded route
- 72 (20.5%) riders ⇒ more hours
- 23 (6.6%) riders ⇒ shorter waits
- 39 (11.1%) riders ⇒ other (e.g., better wheelchair access, stops closer to libraries and homeless shelters, etc.)