In our last groundviews agency newsletter, we spoke with former Sand Point Housing resident Jacquelyn Wilson, a single mom of two children, who now has a good job and a permanent place to live.
She told us, “I just can’t stress enough how important programs like this are to people like me. Sometimes life doesn’t give you a lot of choices. And things happen. And it’s not because you’re a bad person; it’s maybe because circumstances went bad. But if you’re given a chance, you can really succeed, and teach your kids a great lesson, you know?
“And it’s all walks of life that are in that building [Sand Point Family Housing], all walks of life – and those that most need the help. And I’ll never forget any of my neighbors there – and I hope that they all succeed, and carry the experience that they had from this, and move forward – and become productive and part of society again.”
So when Jackie saw an opportunity to try to give back to Sand Point (beyond the enormous gift she made by sharing her personal story), she jumped at the chance. She found out that her bank, US Bank, is running a “Get Ahead in 2010” promotion through February 28, 2010. US Bank clients can post a short blurb describing what they would do with a $5,000 prize. Jackie signed up, writing that if she wins, she will donate the funds to Sand Point Housing. Help us help her win!
To vote for Jackie’s story:
1) Go to https://getaheadin2010.usbank.com/StoryGallery/
2) Type or paste the words “Homeless Families in Washington” in the search window, and click on “Go.”
3) VOTE! Her story will come up as “Homeless Families in Washington, Jacquelyn W., Seattle, WA”
You can vote once a day until the promotion ends on February 28, so bookmark the link and vote every day until then. Let’s help Jackie raise some funds for Sand Point Housing!
- To read the current and other issues of Solid Ground’s groundviews newsletter, go to www.solid-ground.org/AboutUs/Publications.
- For more information on Sand Point Housing, go to www.solid-ground.org/PROGRAMS/HOUSING/SANDPOINT contact Joshua Welch at 206.529.9450 or email@example.com.
- For information about Solid Ground’s plans to build more housing at Sand Point, go to www.solid-ground.org/GetInvolved/SandPointCC or contact Zanne Garland at 206.694.6862 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Leave a Comment