At Solid Ground, we know that there’s no one solution to poverty or homelessness, which is why we seek to meet everyone we serve where they are, with solutions that meet their unique needs. And we’re able to do that thanks to donors who provide Solid Ground with crucial general operating support.
Everyone who supports a nonprofit wants to make sure their contribution has a meaningful impact, which is why many donors understandably want to see their donations go toward a specific program. This funding is crucial for the work of any nonprofit, but unfortunately it can also leave equally important core functions underfunded. This makes it difficult for organizations like Solid Ground to staff our programs and maintain core agency functions, and it ultimately erodes our ability to effectively serve and respond to the needs of our participants.
General operating gifts – which can be used at an agency’s discretion – are a valuable resource that allows us to apply funds to the greatest areas of need, often including essential but unseen work that makes our direct services possible. A special thank you to last quarter’s general operating supporters: Adobe Inc., Biella Foundation, Medina Foundation, and Mental Wellness Foundation.
Unrestricted gifts enable Solid Ground to be flexible to address changing needs. The unrestricted gifts we received in 2020, for example, were crucial to our agency’s ability to pivot and adapt our COVID-19 response. They also empower us to cover unexpected expenses like building or equipment repairs, implement changes to services in response to community feedback, and ensure that all programs are equitably resourced and supported to address participant needs. (For examples of how Solid Ground uses flexibility and creativity to meet people’s individual needs, read our blog post, Tailoring services for success.)
Solid Ground events also generate general operating support. This past quarter saw both our June Social Justice Salon featuring Women of Color Leading Change and our annual Building Community Event at Town Hall. These powerful events also take a village to put on. Volunteers, sponsors, donors, and attendees – as well as Solid Ground staff members – all played a part in the success of these events, providing opportunities for celebration, connection, and reenvisioning what a thriving community can look like. Thank you!
General operating support is key to achieving our mission and supporting core operations that enabled Solid Ground programming to reach 65,000 people in Seattle/ King County last year.
Your general operating gifts support:
- Our Finance team, which ensures staff are paid, our budgets are balanced, and our public and private funding is managed with integrity.
- Flexible responses to meet community needs as we identify new program opportunities.
- Essential building updates, maintenance, and renovations to ensure safe, comfortable housing for Solid Ground residents and work environments for Solid Ground staff and volunteers.
- IT staff who ensure our systems and data are secure, and our employees have the equipment and technology needed to run our programs efficiently across our five locations.
- Engaging and training over 900 volunteers in 2022, who contributed $1,335,010 in impact value.
- Many more essential functions that make Solid Ground’s mission possible!
Thank you to all of the funders that support our work and mission through both restricted and unrestricted gifts. Last quarter, the following funders contributed to Solid Ground’s community impact:
Want to join our amazing supporters help remove barriers along people’s journeys out of poverty? Check out our many Ways to Give!