Marra Farm, fruit harvest, seed distribution, P-Patch food banks plots, school programs…. what was Lettuce Link up to in 2009? With the help of our volunteers (over 7000 hours of volunteer work!) we:
- Passed out seeds, plant starts, and gardening information to over 2,100 food bank clients
- Supported P-Patch gardeners at 45 sites to generate over 27,000 pounds of organic produce for food banks and meals programs
- Grew over 16,300 pounds of organic produce at Marra Farm to donate to Providence Regina House Food Bank in Seattle’s South Park neighborhood
- Harvested 19,600 pounds of fresh fruit for food banks and meals programs. This represents a 40% increase from 2008!
- Taught nutrition, organic growing, food production, and ecology for students from Concord Elementary in South Park and other South Seattle youth, reaching over 400 children.
- Provided leadership for the new Seattle Community Farm and Good Food Project, a multi-partner collaboration to create a sustainable food system accessible to low-income communities in Seattle.
Looking forward to a wonderful 2010.