RENT SMART TENANT WORKSHOPS
WHEN/WHERE: November 21 – December 19; various dates, times & locations (all different branches of the Seattle Public Library)
WHAT: Are you a renter? Are you searching for housing? Join Solid Ground Tenant Counselors for one of these FREE workshops on your rights as a tenant!
- Learn how to find affordable housing & navigate landlord screening criteria
- Know & assert your rights as tenants
- Protect yourself from eviction & housing loss
- Learn how to get deposits back & repairs made
- Wednesday, November 21, 2018, 5 – 6:30pm: Rainier Beach Branch Library (9125 Rainier Ave S, Seattle, WA 98118)
- Monday, November 26, 2018, 5:30 – 7pm: Montlake Branch Library (2401 24th Ave E, Seattle, WA 98112)
- Tuesday, November 27, 2018, 5 – 6:30pm: Magnolia Branch Library (2801 34th Ave W, Seattle, WA 98199)
- Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 3 – 4:30pm: Northeast Branch Library (6801 35th Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98115)
- Thursday, November 29, 2018, 3 – 4:30pm: Solid Ground/Wallingford Branch Library, 1st floor, Cheryl Cobbs Murphy Room (1501 N 45th St, Seattle WA 98103)
- Monday, December 3, 2018, 5:30 – 7pm: Ballard Branch Library (5614 22nd Ave NW, Seattle, WA 98107)
- Thursday, December 6, 2018, 5:30 – 7pm: Southwest Branch Library (9010 35th Ave SW, Seattle, WA 98126)
- Tuesday, December 11, 2018, noon – 1:30pm: Beacon Hill Branch Library (5813, 2821 Beacon Ave S, Seattle, WA 98144)
- Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 5:30 – 7pm: Broadview Branch Library (12755 Greenwood Ave N, Seattle, WA 98133)
- Monday, December 17, 5 – 6:30pm: Delridge Branch Library (5423 Delridge Way SW, Seattle, WA 98106)
- Wednesday, December 19, noon – 1:30pm: Capitol Hill Branch Library (425 Harvard Ave E, Seattle, WA 98102)
FREE LEGAL HELP & RESOURCES
WHEN: Friday, November 30, 2018, 10am – 4pm
WHERE: Delridge Community Center (4501 Delridge Way SW, Seattle, WA 98106)
WHAT: Do you have unpaid parking tickets, a suspended driver’s license, or outstanding warrants? Seattle Municipal Court and its partners will assist you with:
- Warrant quash/recall & set a future court date without arrest
- Options for resolving unpaid tickets & relicensing
- Public defender screening
- Direct onsite social services
- Medicaid or insurance questions
- Vision exams & eye glass vouchers
- Basic needs & resource referrals from Court Resource Center staff
FOR MORE INFO: Contact Gary Ireland at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206.684.8710.
HEARING AIDS COVERED FOR CLIENTS AGE 21 & OLDER
WHEN: Beginning January 1, 2019
WHAT: The Washington State Legislature passed ESSB 5179, requiring Apple Health (Medicaid) to cover hearing instruments (hearing aids) when medically necessary. Under the legislation, clients 21 and older who meet specific hearing loss criteria may be eligible for the following:
- One hearing aid every five years
- A second hearing aid when specific criteria are met
- Repair & replacement of hearing aids
- Hearing aid related service & supplies
- Repairs to external components of cochlear implants & bone-anchored hearing aid (BAHA) devices
FOR MORE INFO: Visit the Health Care Authority website.
***** ONGOING EVENTS & RESOURCES *****
FEDEX IS HIRING
WHEN: Every Thursday in November, 11am – 1pm
WHERE: Airport Jobs Office, SeaTac International Airport (17801 International Blvd, Seattle, WA 98158, Mezzanine Level, Room 6626)
WHAT: A FedEx recruiter will be at the Airport Jobs Office answering questions regarding open positions and assisting with online applications. This is a walk-in event; no registration needed, all are welcome!
- Minimum 18 years old
- Must be a U.S. resident for minimum 5 years
- Valid driver’s license (for select positions)
WASHINGTON HEALTH BENEFIT EXCHANGE…
Open Enrollment for 2018 Health Plans Start NOW!
WHEN: Thursday November 1, 2018 – December 15, 2018
WHAT: Open Enrollment for 2018 health coverage in Washington state is now! For coverage beginning January 1, 2019, you must choose a plan by December 15, 2018.
Washington Apple Health (Medicaid): Depending on your income level, you may be eligible for Washington Apple Health FREE health insurance. If you qualify for Washington Apple Health (also called Medicaid), enrollment is ongoing – you can sign up any time. You can create an account to apply to find out if you’re eligible.
Washington Healthplanfinder: If you earn too much for Washington Apple Health, you can buy one of the insurance plans offered through Washington Healthplanfinder. You may qualify for assistance with paying your premium.
FOR MORE INFO & HELP:
If you need help understanding your health insurance options in Washington state, you’re in luck. While navigation support was cut at the federal level, our state has INCREASED the number of In-Person Assistants and Outreach Sites to help people navigate the system. Below are some resources to get you started.
- APPLY for WA APPLE HEALTH if you want to find out if you qualify for FREE health insurance.
- SHOP for HEALTH PLANS at Washington Healthplanfinder.
- FIND an IN-PERSON ASSISTANT “NAVIGATOR” (FREE!) anywhere in Washington state.
- CHECK OUT King County’s Enrollment Assistance Tips (www.kingcounty.gov/coverage).
- VISIT a Health Insurance Enrollment location.
- Healthplanfinder’s Call Center: 1.855.923.4633
- King County’s Help Line: 1.800.756.5437
PREPARE NOW FOR WINTER WEATHER!
TAKE WINTER BY STORM: This year you can expect longer than usual response times for winter services such as clearing roads or restoring power during severe weather. Making a simple family plan and assembling an emergency kit can help minimize the impacts on you and your family. These tips and resources from Seattle & King County Public Health can help!
BE PREPARED, BE SAFE (translated materials): The Washington State Department of Health website includes written translations in multiple languages that can help refugee and immigrant communities stay safe in cold weather.
Leave a Comment