FAMILY MATTERS CLINIC FOR LGBTQ+ FAMILIES
WHEN/WHERE: Ongoing; meeting times and locations are set when families are matched with attorneys
WHAT: QLaw Foundation supports all of the ways that our community makes families. We serve parents who are low income, QTPOC, formerly incarcerated, trans/nonbinary, poly, immigrant/refugee, and/or living with disabilities. We have no limitations based on citizenship or income level.
The Family Matters clinic for LGBTQ+ families in King County is a full-representation clinic for:
- people who are parenting, but who don’t have legal recognition of their role
- families recognized under Washington law who want an adoption or parentage order just to be safe
- families parenting kids from their partner’s prior relationship
- parents not married to the kids’ other parent who want to make sure their relationship with the children is protected in a worst-case scenario
- families with three or four (or more!) people parenting children who want to make sure each parent has legal recognition
MORE INFO: Contact email@example.com or 206.483.2725.
DSHS MOBILE COMMUNITY SERVICES EVENT
WHEN: Thursday, November 14, 2019, 10am-2pm
WHERE: Seattle Mennonite Church (3120 NE 125th St, Seattle, WA 98125)
WHAT: At this Mobile Community Services event, you can apply for:
- Cash assistance
- Basic food assistance
- Medical assistance
- Medicare savings program
MORE INFO: Call the Contact Center at 1.877.501.2233.
GET STARTED IN COLLEGE INFORMATION SESSION
WHEN: Friday, November 15, 2019, 1-2:30pm
WHERE: Airport Jobs Center, Sea-Tac Airport, Mezzanine Level, Room 6626
WHAT: Do you want to go to college but need help getting started? Get your questions answered here! Get your own pre-college checklist! Presented by Seattle Education Access (SEA).
- The admissions process
- Common placement tests and assessments
- Different ways to pay for college, including financial aid
- Where to get college advising
- Important application deadlines
- How to get one-on-one help
QUESTIONS? Call Stephanie 206.787.3883 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
READY FOR RETAIL WORKSHOPS
WHEN: Mondays, 10:30am-12:30pm, November 18, December 2 & 9
WHAT: Want to build your career in retail?
Attend any or all of these FREE workshops:
- Monday, November 18 – RETAIL CAREER READINESS
- Monday, December 2 – RETAIL TECHNOLOGY TOOLS FOR SUCCESS
- Monday, December 9 – CUSTOMER SERVICE
MORE INFO/REGISTER: Contact Denise Johnson, PORT JOBS at Johnson.email@example.com or 206.787.6780.
AIRPORT JOBS: SWISSPORT USA, FEDEX, HORIZON AIR & SSP AMERICA
WHERE: Airport Jobs Office, Sea-Tac International Airport (17801 International Blvd, Seattle, WA 98158, Mezzanine Level, Room 6626; take an elevator or stairs to the Mezzanine level above the Alaska Airlines ticketing counter)
SWISSPORT USA HIRING EVENTS
WHEN: Wednesdays, November 13 & 20, 10:30am-12:30pm
WHAT: Swissport USA recruiters will be at the Airport Jobs Office answering questions regarding open positions and assisting with online applications. These are walk-in events; no registration needed, all are welcome!
Current Swissport USA positions:
- Fueling Agent – Full Time with benefits; requires a valid Drivers License; paid training
- Cargo Warehouse Agent – Full Time & Part Time; requires a valid Drivers License
- Ramp Services Agent – Full Time; requires a valid Drivers License
- Passenger Service Agents – Part Time; high demand for bilingual in Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, & Thai; paid training; all positions start at $16.09/hour
FEDEX HIRING EVENTS
WHEN: Thursdays, November 14 & 21, 11am-1pm
WHAT: FedEx recruiters will be at the Airport Jobs Office answering questions regarding open positions and assisting with online applications. These are walk-in events; no registration needed, all are welcome!
FedEx position requirements:
- Minimum 18 years old
- Must be a U.S. resident for minimum 5 years
- Valid driver’s license (for select positions)
HORIZON AIR RECRUITING EVENT
WHEN: Tuesday, November 19, 2019 between 10am-2pm
WHAT: Horizon Air recruiters will be at the Airport Jobs Office answering questions and providing information about applying for open positions. These are walk-in events; no registration needed, all are welcome! Current Positions: Ground Service Agent (15/hr + benefits): Key responsibilities include baggage and cargo handling; aircraft marshaling for takeoff and gate approach; and de-icing. Must work outdoors in all types of weather.
Things to Know Before You Arrive:
- Please bring your résumé
- Ability to work flexible schedules which include weekends & holidays
- Must be at least 18 years old with a high school diploma or GED equivalent
- Authorized to work in the U.S. (citizenship or legal work status without the need for Visa sponsorship)
- Have good customer service and communication skills
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record
- A passport or Enhance Driver’s License (EDL), if hired, at the time of badging for customs clearance
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Able to work outdoors in all types of weather
SSP AMERICA OPEN INTERVIEWS
WHEN: Tuesday & Thursday, November 19 & 21, 2019, 1-3pm
WHAT: SSP America is hiring and will be at the Airport Jobs office to do open interviews. Wages are currently $16.09/hr and will rise to $16.34/hr effective 1/1/20. Open positions: ⇒Prep Cooks ⇒Bartenders ($16.09/hr + tips) ⇒Food Service Worker ⇒Utility Worker
Benefits: ⇒Health/dental/life insurance ⇒Paid vacation and sick time ⇒Annual merit increases ⇒401K retirement ⇒50% off of meals ⇒Career advancement
Job Requirements: ⇒Must be 18 years or older ⇒Able to pass a 10-year background check ⇒Able to handle/come into contact with pork products ⇒Prior experience is desirable
TO APPLY: Visit the Airport Jobs office for a paper application prior to Open Interview.
Note: Airport Jobs is a program of Port Jobs; Port Jobs is not the hiring employer for this event. Port Jobs is not responsible for the actions of the hiring employer.
MAKING DISRUPTIVE COVER LETTERS WORK FOR YOU WORKSHOP
WHEN: Monday, December 16, 2019, 1-3:30pm
WHERE: Hopelink (17837 Aurora Ave N, Shoreline, WA 98133)
We will explore:
- Whether cover letters are still necessary
- What is a “disruptive cover letter” and why you should use one
- What information should be included in a cover letter including formatting options
QUESTIONS? Contact Rhonda Knuckey at 206.487.5457 or RKnuckey@hopelink.org.
WA STATE HEALTH INSURANCE OPEN ENROLLMENT
WHEN: Friday, November 1 – Sunday, December 15, 2019
WHAT: Get covered, Washington! Sign up or renew your health and dental coverage, including free or low-cost Washington Apple Health (Medicaid). Open Enrollment for Washington state health insurance plans opened November 1 and runs through December 15, 2019. Navigators are located across Washington state and are available at no cost to help customers sign up for coverage through Washington Healthplanfinder. Healthplanfinder has a network of support across Washington state. Navigators can help customers through the application and enrollment process from start to finish.
MORE INFO: Visit the Washington Healthplanfinder website to find the right health plan for you and your family. Note: If you qualify for Washington Apple Health (Medicaid), enrollment stays open all year long, and you can apply at any time.
***** ONGOING EVENTS & RESOURCES *****
WA GET PROGRAM OPEN ENROLLMENT
WHEN: 2019-2020 enrollment runs through May 31, 2020
WHAT: The Guaranteed Education Tuition (GET) program is Washington state’s 529 prepaid tuition program that helps families save today for future college costs. It offers a guarantee tied to in-state tuition prices, backed by state law. It also offers tax benefits, flexible payments and a nationwide choice of colleges. GET provides families the opportunity to start saving for future college costs while their children are young. While GET account values keep pace with in-state tuition, beneficiaries have the freedom to follow their ambitions wherever they choose, as GET can be used at nearly any public or private university, community college, or technical school in the country.
MORE INFO: The unit purchase price is $121. GET’s website offers details, charts, planning tools and answers for questions that families may have about the program. Washington residents who want to help a student save for future education costs can open a GET account online with no enrollment fee.
CONTACT: GET Contact Center staff at GETInfo@wsac.wa.gov or 800.955.2318.
COMMUNITIES IN ACTION ADVOCACY WORKSHOPS
WHEN: Three monthly 4-hour workshops: Saturdays, 10am-2pm, October 5, November 2, & December 7 (attend as many workshops as fit your schedule!)
WHERE: Solid Ground (1501 N 45th St, Seattle, WA 98103)
WHAT: Join the Statewide Poverty Action Network for our Communities in Action advocacy program, a FREE workshop series on how to use your voice to influence public policy and create the social change you want to see! The workshops focus on skill building for people interested in advocacy, policy, community organizing, and social justice. Participants will leave with the tools, knowledge, and resources to enter the 2020 Legislative Session as anti-poverty and racial justice advocates for their own communities.
Attend as many workshops as fit your schedule – but we encourage you to attend all three for the best experience. Sessions are free; no prior advocacy experience needed. Participants receive a $20 travel reimbursement for each session, as well as food and childcare. Space is limited; preregistration is REQUIRED!
- Completed 10/5 –
SESSION 1: Introduction to Advocacy & Poverty Action’s Campaigns
- Completed 11/2 –
SESSION 2: An Overview of Washington State’s Legislative Process
- SESSION 3: Storytelling for Change & Connecting to Larger Movements
(Note: As Poverty Action’s work traditionally centers the experiences and voices of low-income communities and communities of color, we ask only those who self-identify as low-income to attend.)
QUESTIONS/MORE INFO: Contact Poverty Action at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206.694.6794 | toll-free 1.866.789.7726.
COMCAST INTERNET ESSENTIALS
WHAT: Comcast’s Internet Essentials program is the largest, most comprehensive, and most successful broadband adoption program in the nation. It provides low-cost internet ($9.95/month) to low-income families and individuals within the Comcast service area.
Eligibility: To qualify, applicants simply need to show they participate in one of more than a dozen different government assistance programs, including: ⇒Medicaid, ⇒Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), and ⇒Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Comcast also accepts applications from households that: ⇒have a student eligible for the National School Lunch Program, ⇒live in public housing, ⇒receive HUD Housing Assistance (including Section 8 vouchers), or ⇒participate in the Veterans Pension Program, as well as low-income seniors in select pilot markets.
HAS YOUR FAMILY LOST ACCESS TO TANF?
If you were kicked off TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) due to:
- sanctions that led you to be permanently disqualified OR
- the 60-month limit, and you and your family are currently homeless
… you are again eligible for TANF, due to changes in the law effective July 28, 2019.
To reapply for TANF, you must submit an application either in person, by mail, or online. Visit washingtonconnection.org for an online application, or bit.ly/dshs-offices for a list of DSHS offices throughout the state.
If you’re being denied these new benefits, here are some legal support resources:
- King County residents: Contact Solid Ground’s Benefits Legal Assistance: 206.694.6742.
- Residents outside of King County: Contact CLEAR Legal Hotline: 1.888.201.1014.
OPEN ORIENTATION FOR CULINARY ARTS PROGRAM
WHEN: Every Tuesday, promptly at 9:30am
WHERE: FareStart (700 Virginia St, Seattle, WA 98101). Ring the buzzer at the Virginia Street entrance for receptionist.
WHAT: FareStart is a free culinary training and placement program.
- 16 weeks of hands-on culinary training in working professional kitchens
- Coaching to become successful in your work and help finding a job
- Support services for personal needs, including housing assistance
QUESTIONS? Visit the FareStart website or contact them at 206.267.6218.