The secret ingredient in this chocolate cake is not so secret: black beans! Beans and eggs add satisfying protein to this tasty treat that is sure to be a hit with kids in your life – or those who are simply young at heart.
Prep time 10 min | Cook time 40 min | Total time 50 min | Yield: 6 pieces of cake
- 1 15-oz can black beans
- 5 eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp butter, coconut oil, or other oil
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Drain and rinse canned beans.
- Add beans, eggs, vanilla, sugar, and salt into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add oil and blend until smooth.
- Add cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder and mix until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Pour into a greased, 9-inch pan and bake at 350°F for 40 minutes.
- Let cool for 15 minutes and enjoy!
- Make chocolate muffins instead of cake. Pour batter into a 12-cup muffin pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake as in step 8, about 20-25 minutes.
- Add your own favorite flavors, like peanut butter, fruit, or spices!
Try it yourself and tell us about it in the comments!
Solid Ground’s Community Food Education (CFE) program hosts cooking and nutrition classes to support healthy and holistic living on a budget. The CFE team created this series of cooking videos to offer resources, tips, and tricks that you can practice at home. Visit our Food & Nutrition and Coronavirus Food Resources webpages for more food and nutrition info and resources.