Magnuson Park Community Food Pantry seeks volunteers to help provide food for Sand Point community.
About the Food Pantry
The Magnuson Park Community Food Pantry is a popup food bank supported by four community organizations: Solid Ground, the University District Food Bank, the YMCA, and Mercy Housing. It serves Mercy Housing and Solid Ground’s Sand Point Housing campus residents in the Sand Point neighborhood.
Food Pantry Volunteers
There are a wide variety of volunteer roles at the food pantry. Volunteers can assist with:
- unloading food deliveries
- setting up tables and chairs in the community room
- sorting rescued food to ensure that only safe and healthy options are distributed
- ensuring that stations remain well stocked during open hours of distribution
- welcoming patrons and acting as ambassadors
- helping patrons with their shopping experience
- providing information and direction
- assisting staff with the breakdown and cleanup of the food pantry at the end of the afternoon
The food pantry is open every Wednesday from 11am-2pm, with volunteer shifts from 10am-1pm and 12-3pm (or volunteers can do both shifts). Both one-time and ongoing regular volunteer opportunities are available to individuals and groups.
Volunteers will be trained through the University District Food Bank.
- Must be 14 years or older
- Ability to work with staff, volunteers, and participants with a variety of racial, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds, lifestyles, and sexual orientations
- Ability to stand for the duration of a 3-hour shift and lift a bag of groceries (volunteer opportunities may exist outside this requirement – please inquire!)
- Face masks are required! We can supply them as needed.
Solid Ground believes poverty is solvable. Volunteers play a critical role in helping us meet basic needs, nurture success, and spread change – so everyone in our community can achieve their full potential.