RENT SMART TENANT WORKSHOPS
WHEN/WHERE: 5 workshops, 9/11 – 9/20/18, at various times & locations
WHAT: Are you a renter? Are you searching for housing? Join Solid Ground Tenant Counselors for one of these FREE workshops on your rights as a tenant!
- Learn how to find affordable housing & navigate landlord screening criteria
- Know & assert your rights as a tenant
- Protect yourself from eviction & housing loss
- Learn how to get deposits back & repairs made
- Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 12 – 2pm – Solid Ground (1501 N 45th St, Seattle WA, 98103, Cheryl Cobbs Murphy Room, 1st floor)
- Thursday, September 13, 2018, 1 – 3pm – Mt. Si Senior Center (411 Main Ave S, North Bend, WA 98045, Multi-purpose Room)
- Friday, September 14, 2018, 1 – 3pm – Lake City Community Center (4319, 12531 28th Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98125)
- Tuesday, September 18, 2018, 12 – 2pm – Solid Ground (1501 N 45th St, Seattle WA, 98103, Cheryl Cobbs Murphy Room, 1st floor.
- Thursday, September 20, 2018, 5 – 7pm – Solid Ground (1501 N 45th St, Seattle WA, 98103, Cheryl Cobbs Murphy Room, 1st floor)
QUESTIONS? Please contact Solid Ground Tenant Services at email@example.com or 206.694.6748.
FINANCIAL FITNESS BOOT CAMP WORKSHOP SERIES
WHEN: 3 remaining workshops, Wednesdays (9/12, 9/26 & 10/10/18), 2:30 – 4:30pm each session
WHERE: Solid Ground (1501 N 45th St, Seattle WA, 98103, Cheryl Cobbs Murphy Room, 1st floor)
WHAT: Are you ready to take control of your finances? Join us for our Financial Fitness Boot Camp (FFBC) 4-part workshop series, designed to help you take control of your finances! Next up is Credit & Credit Repair, where you’ll learn how to read your credit report, understand predatory loans, and demystify the dispute process.
Workshop topics & dates:
- Part 2: Credit & Credit Repair: Wednesday, 9/12/18, 2:30 – 4:30pm
- Part 3: Banking: Wednesday, 9/26/18, 2:30 – 4:30pm
- Part 4: Goal Setting: Wednesday, 10/10/18, 2:30 – 4:30pm
Part 1: Budgeting: Wednesday, 8/29/18, 2:30 – 4:30pm
QUESTIONS/RSVP: Have you missed any of the previous workshops? Good news: We’ll be repeating the series! Contact us to find out about future Financial Fitness Boot Camp opportunities at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206.694.6864.
FEDEX IS HIRING
WHEN: Every Thursday in September 2018 (9/6, 9/13, 9/20, & 9/27), 11am – 1pm
WHERE: Airport Jobs Office, SeaTac International Airport (17801 International Blvd, Seattle, WA 98158, Mezzanine Level, Room 6626)
WHAT: A FedEx recruiter will be at the Airport Jobs office answering questions regarding open positions and assisting with online applications. This is a walk-in event; no registration needed, all are welcome!
- Minimum 18 years old
- Must be a U.S. resident for minimum 5 years
- Valid Driver’s License (for select positions)
FREE SUNDAY DINNER
WHEN: Sunday, September 9, 2018, 12-2pm
WHERE: Blessed Sacrament Church, Parish Hall, (5050 8th Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98115)
WHAT: Blessed Sacrament Church is hosting their weekly Sunday dinner. Meals are served with green salad, fruit salad, dessert, bread, coffee, milk and juice.
This Sunday’s Menu:
⇒Meatloaf⇒Chowder⇒Mashed Spuds⇒Gravy⇒Green beans⇒3-Pasta Salad⇒Green salad⇒Fruit salad⇒Dessert⇒Bread⇒Coffee⇒Milk⇒Juice
St. Vincent de Paul conference representatives will also be present during dinner for assistance referrals. Blessed Sacrament Church is accessible through Metro bus routes 26, 70 & 67.
SEATTLE/KING CO. CLINIC: FREE MEDICAL, DENTAL & VISION CARE
WHEN: Thursday – Saturday, September 20 – 23, 2018
WHERE: KeyArena at Seattle Center (305 Harrison St, Seattle WA, 98109)
WHAT: The Seattle/King County Clinic is for people who struggle to access and/or afford healthcare. All are welcome regardless of income, insurance or immigration status. Patients will not be asked for documentation of any type. All services are FREE. Note that you cannot get both dental and vision care on the same day, but you may attend the Clinic for multiple days, and you must go through the ticket process each day.
How it works:
- No advance registration; first-come, first-served (highest demand for tickets is on Saturday & Sunday)
- Get a ticket in the tent on Fisher Pavilion at Seattle Center (corner of 2nd Ave N & Thomas St)
- 12:30am: Tent opens for shelter (not required to be there at that time)
- 5am: Tickets distributed (one ticket per person, ticket is only good for that day)
- 6:30am: Patients enter the Clinic in KeyArena in order of the number on ticket
- Interpreters available
- Free parking: 1st Ave Garage (220 1st Ave N) or Mercer St Garage (650 3rd Ave N)
ONE-TIME HOUSING FUNDS FOR VETERANS
WHAT: Solid Ground’s King County Housing Stability Project (HSP) can provide one-time financial assistance to eligible King County households who have received an eviction notice, or those who have secured permanent housing and need assistance with deposit or first month’s rent. There are funds set aside specifically for veterans with any discharge status; proof of service in the form of a DD-214 or service letter is required.
Eligibility requirements for HSP include:
- Maximum income of 50% AMI ($3,121 a month for a single adult, $3,567 for a household of 2)
- Minimum income of 1.5 times your monthly rent
- Have received an eviction notice from your landlord OR for move in assistance, have a letter confirming approval to permanent housing
- We cannot assist with transitional housing or any housing outside of King County.
- Requested amount of assistance must be at least $100 but no more than $2,000. Not all households will receive the maximum; amount of assistance is based on need.
To be prescreened for HSP, call King County 211 by simply dialing 211 or 1.800.621.4636, and ask about rental assistance. They will try to connect you to all appropriate rental assistance programs, which may or may not include HSP. You must meet all eligibility criteria to be considered for an HSP referral, and there are a limited number of HSP referrals available each week.
QUESTIONS? Please contact Theresa Curry-Almuti at email@example.com or call 206.694.6841.
This program receives funding from the King County Veterans, Seniors and Human Services Levy.
WORKFORCE TUITION ASSISTANCE INFO SESSIONS
WHEN: Every Wednesday, 2 – 4pm
WHERE: Shoreline Community College Building 5000, Room 5101 (16101 Greenwood Ave N, Shoreline, WA 98133)
WHAT: These information sessions are for those who are gaining skills in their current job or would like to transition into a high-demand field of work. Workforce Education may assist qualifying individuals to pay for tuition, fees, parking, or ORCA bus passes. Earn certificates and degrees in healthcare, automotive, manufacturing, business, clean energy and more!
You may be eligible if you:
a) Meet one of these two criteria (Note: You can have a degree and still qualify):
- Low-income (receiving FOOD STAMPS or CASH through DSHS, or able to provide evidence of income) OR
- Unemployed (household income does not matter), for example:
- In a stop-gap job (i.e., you were laid off and had to take a lower-paying job in your field to pay for rent)
- Lost a small business
- Displaced homemaker (i.e., you provided unpaid services to the household and the main income earner lost income due to death, divorce, separation, loss of job, went to prison) (Note: You do not need to be married)
- Using or exhausted unemployment benefits in the past 48 months
b) Are a US citizen, permanent resident or refugee who has lived in Washington state for at least one year, and
c) Are enrolled in ANY of the following:
- Professional/Technical Programs (certificate/non-transfer degrees)
- ESL (English as a Second Language)
- High School 21+ or GED preparation (Adult Basic Education)
RSVP: Visit the Start Next Quarter webpage, or call 206.546.5882 to register or find out if you prequalify for funding.
OPEN ORIENTATION FOR CULINARY ARTS PROGRAM
WHEN: Every Tuesday, promptly at 9:30am
WHERE: FareStart (700 Virginia St, Seattle, WA 98101). Ring the buzzer at the Virginia Street entrance for receptionist.
WHAT: FareStart is a free culinary training and placement program. Students receive:
- 16 weeks of hands-on culinary training in working professional kitchens
- Coaching to become successful in your work and help finding a job
- Support services for personal needs, including housing assistance
QUESTIONS? Visit the FareStart website or contact them at 206.267.6218.