A Heart Needs a Home, at The Royal Room on Thursday Dec. 19, will bring together a mash-up of local jazz, roots and rock talent playing the music of legendary British songwriter Richard Thompson to support housing for people experiencing homelessness.
A Heart Needs a Home features a house band anchored by local guitar legend Bill Frisell, Wayne Horvitz (keyboards), Darren Loucas (guitar) Luke Bergman (bass), Eric Eagle (drums) and multi-instrumentalist Michael Connolly (Coyote Grace, the Indigo Girls touring band, Empty Sea Studios).
Lead singers taking on Richard Thompson songs include:
- Robin Holcomb
- Eli West (Cahalen Morrison & Eli West)
- Arni Adler (Uncle Bonsai)
- Jo Miller (Burly Roughnecks) and Kim Scanlon
- Carrie Clark (Carrie Clark and the Lonesome Lovers)
- Joel Tepp (sideman with Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Brown, Little Feat and many more)
- Jim Page (folk icon)
- Paul Benoit
- Reggie Garrett (Snakeoil Peddlers)
- Rob Kneisler
Richard Thompson is one of the most amazing and well-respected musicians of the rock era. Named one of Rolling Stone’s top 20 guitarists of all time and a founding member of the seminal British folk-rock band Fairport Convention, Thompson’s songwriting and performing have earned him many accolades, perhaps none bigger than his appointment as Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 2011 for services to music.
Proceeds from the show benefit Solid Ground’s efforts to house families experiencing homelessness in Seattle. Each year more than 55,000 King County residents come to Solid Ground to address urgent food and hunger needs, and build skills to overcome poverty and thrive.
A Heart Needs a Home continues a long-standing series of efforts by local musicians to address homelessness that started in 2003 with the Songs for Shelter CD and concert series.
- Two shows: 7:30pm & 9:30pm.
- Tickets: $20 in advance; $25 at the door. Buy advance tickets for the early show here and for the late show here.
- Venue: The Royal Room (5000 Rainier Ave S in Columbia City) is an eclectic, welcoming performance venue that emphasizes creative programming and development in a collaborative community space.
The performers are all really excited about playing together on this show and I think it is going to be a memorable night. Hope you can join us!