Reporting to the Communication Director, the Internal Communication Manager serves as a vital member of the Solid Ground Communications Team, managing core internal communications strategies, processes, and content development leading to improved employee engagement and morale. This position will develop strategy and write new internal communications policy to facilitate dialogue and effective communications feedback loops, produce and deliver company messages, announce policies, and explain agency goals. It will advise senior leaders, manage confidential information, and coach leadership on approved communications policies and procedures to engage audiences across Solid Ground. The position will collaborate with the CEO, Director of Human Resources, and other agency leaders to create written and multi-media content to achieve agency goals. The Manager will collaborate with the Communications Director, IT, and external consultants to develop Solid Ground’s SharePoint-based intranet.
Essential Responsibilities, Duties & Tasks
Strategy and Infrastructure Development
- Collaborate with the CEO, Communications Director, Human Resources Director, and other agency leaders to clarify internal communications goals and develop and implement strategies, tactics, and tools to achieve those goals.
- Map and optimize agency internal communications channels. Implement new channels and feedback mechanisms, or retire existing ones as needed.
- Keep abreast of industry best practices to incorporate new techniques into Solid Ground.
- Collaborate with IT, staff leaders and external consultants to build up Solid Ground’s SharePoint-based intranet.
- Responsible for developing policy and best practices governing organization’s internal communications. Analyze interrelationships of target audiences and advise organization on messaging sequencing.
- Manage editorial process for the weekly CEO Communications email and SharePoint-based monthly staff newsletter, the FYI.
- Clarify and manage editorial process for internal emergency communications.
- Provide process and editorial support for messaging originating from Human Resources, Finance, Facilities, and the CEO office.
- Work with department leads to strategize and implement SharePoint communications sites to meet internal communications goals. Guide processes to develop visual and editorial standards, and support teams to build out SharePoint sites.
- Develop and provide trainings for senior staff on internal communications styles, processes, and procedures.
Writing & Content Creation
- Create content for internal communications channels and feedback mechanisms.
- Advise and collaborate with leaders of the Anti-Racism Initiative, Trauma-Informed Organization initiative, other cross-agency projects, as well as program departments, to tell their stories to the broad staff community and develop other messaging critical to those functions. Consult on best practices re channels, techniques, etc.
- Repurpose stories developed for external communications to meet internal communications goals.
- Create PowerPoint slide decks and other presentation materials for use in All Staff and other large team meetings.
Training & Leadership Development
- Reports regularly to the Communications Director and collaborates with the director to identify and overcome barriers to achieving goals
- Participate in agency trainings and groups related to understanding and dismantling institutional racism and building cultural competency.
- Participate as an active member of the Communications Functional Leadership Team, Incident Command, Department Anti-Racism Action Team, and other cross-agency teams as assigned.
- Represent Communications in meetings throughout the agency when requested.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Percentage of time spent on responsibilities varies based on shift worked.Full Job Description