Food justice and community education. Apply for our 2017-18 Nutrition Education AmeriCorps position today
Nutrition Education at Solid Ground works to promote healthy eating for adults and children that experience poverty and oppression. We are a team of school- and community-based educators guided by the belief that all people deserve to live healthful lives. In this work, Nutrition Education collaborates with schools, community organizations, health centers, and local agencies to provide a curriculum consisting of six weekly classes that expands the knowledge, skills, and confidence of participants to prepare healthy and affordable meals at home.
School-based Nutrition Educators will:
- Lead nutrition education classes with 2nd-5th-grade students using engaging, hands-on curricula to Seattle Public Schools students that experience food insecurity, in collaboration with Solid Ground Nutrition Education staff.
- Develop, lead, and coordinate cooking or garden-based afterschool programming with students at partner elementary school sites.
- Support Nutrition Education staff with school-based events and health promotions, attend school events and write blog posts, and recruit and coordinate volunteers for classroom-based and afterschool programming.
This position is contingent on funding.
- At least 18 years old (by Oct. 1, 2017) with high school diploma/GED
- Experience leading, managing, and presenting information to groups of children and youth, preferably in a low-income setting
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Computer literate (MS Office Suite, MS Publisher, MS Excel, Social Media)
- Ability to interact with children, adults, and families from various cultures, ethnicities, and races as well as a commitment to challenge institutional racism
- Knowledge of nutrition, cooking, food security, and teaching
- Ability to work respectfully and collaboratively with a small team
- Ability to take initiative and leadership skills
- Valid Driver’s license and willingness/ability to drive own vehicle with mileage reimbursement or program vehicle with volunteer passengers to class site
- Proficiency in Spanish, Vietnamese, Somali, Oromo, or another language spoken by recent immigrants to Seattle a PLUS!
You are really applying to two organizations—Solid Ground and the AmeriCorps program.
- To qualify for AmeriCorps, you must complete their application at https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=73851&fromSearch=true. Without a completed AmeriCorps application we CANNOT consider you. AmeriCorps will email us your application once it is complete.
- To apply to Solid Ground we will need the following:
- Completed AmeriCorps application (AmeriCorps will email us your application once it is complete)
- Cover letter that demonstrates your passion and fit for this work, and indicates your interest for this position
You must provide all of the documents listed above to be considered for this position.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Positions open until filled.
Email at email@example.comFull Job Description