We offer classes for:
Thank you to our friends and partners in the community!
In particular, we’d like to thank our local supporter Whole Foods Market for providing all of the food and Charlie’s Produce for providing all of the fresh produce needed for Cooking Matters classes. And thanks to the many volunteers who teach cooking and nutrition lessons in our classes.
Host a Cooking Matters Class!
Classes are taught onsite at nonprofit community centers, schools, and social service programs for individuals with low incomes. For more information, see this Host Site Info Letter.
Volunteer for Cooking Matters!
We are always looking for chefs, nutritionists and class assistants.
Solid Ground newsletters featuring the program:
Mango Salsa: Featured Recipe
(Click through to the printable pdf for more Nutrition Information)
Serves 6; 1/2 cup per serving
- 2 large ripe mangos
- 1 small cucumber
- 2 medium green onions
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper
- 2 medium limes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Optional: ¼ cup fresh cilantro
Rinse mangos, cucumber, green onions, jalapeño pepper, and limes.
Peel mangos. Cut mango from the pit and remove seeds from the cucumber.
Dice mangos and cucumber. Finely chop green onions and place all three in a small bowl.
Remove seeds from jalapeño, dice pepper and add to mixture.
Cut limes in half and squeeze juice into mixing bowl.
Add salt and cayenne pepper. If using, rinse and chop cilantro and then add to salsa.
Mix well, cover, and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
- Mangos usually feel a little softer and tend to turn more orange or red in color, instead of green, when they are ripe.
- Be careful when handling the jalapeño pepper — be sure not to touch your eyes and make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after touching the raw pepper — or it will burn.
- Try serving mango salsa as a dip with tortilla chips, as a topping for fresh fish or pork, or as a topping for black bean soup or tacos.
Chef Carina Ziegler's recipes:
The following recipes (Turkey Burgers with Peach Salsa, Black Bean Walnut Burgers, and Chick Pea Salad with Parmesan & Egg) are mentioned in Solid Ground's September, 2009 Groundviews newsletter where we interview Chef Carina.
Address: Cooking Matters
1501 North 45th Street
Seattle, WA 98103-6708