AmeriCorps*VISTA is a federally funded National Service program that provides individuals of all ages and backgrounds the opportunity to address some of the most pressing problems facing our country today. In return for providing a year of service, AmeriCorps*VISTA Members receive a monthly living allowance, training opportunities, and an educational award to help finance college education or vocational training – or pay back student loans.
Solid Ground sponsors the MLK VISTA Corps, working with community and public agencies throughout King County on housing development and homelessness, welfare to work, low-income access to technology, and family support issues.
- Governor's Proclamation: AmeriCorps Week in Washington State, May 14-21, 2011 (signed by Governor Christine O. Gregoire, 5/5/11)
- Finding a second calling: RSVP helps seniors to volunteer (by Katherine Luck, Journal Newspaper Group, 7/5/10)
- Stimulus Funds New AmeriCorps Jobs in Washington (by Liz Jones, KUOW News, 7/8/09)
- United We Serve Initiative 2009: In partnership with the White House, the Corporation for National and Community Service has been directly involved in the coordination of this initiative initiated by President Obama. United We Serve calls for all Americans to contribute to our country’s recovery and renewal by participating in service.
- Nation needs youthful idealism more than ever (by Michelle Obama, USA Today, 4/14/09)
- The Moment for National Service (Editorial, Times, 1/26/09)
- Volunteer to Save the Economy (by Bruce Reed & John Bridgeland, Times, 1/23/09)
- In Obama Era, National Service’s Time Has Come (by Morton M. Kondracke, Roll Call Executive Editor, 1/22/09)
- Service After Service Day (by E.J. Dionne, Washington Post, 1/19/09)
- Strengthening Our Future (by Sen. Sam Nunn & Michelle Nunn, Huffington Post, 1/18/09)
Mailing AmeriCorps Programs
Address: Solid Ground
1501 North 45th Street
Seattle, WA 98103-6708