Photo by Crystal Ny'imah Byrd
MLK VISTA is an active partnership between Solid Ground, the Corporation for National and Community Service, and about 20 grassroots organizations in Seattle and King County. We work together to create innovative projects that strengthen, empower and support low-income communities.
MLK VISTA Site/Project List 13/14
Current MLK VISTA Members, click here for more information that pertains to you. For general information about MLK VISTA, read on.
MLK VISTA models Solid Ground's mission...
We work to end poverty by providing services in response to community needs, and by advocating for public policies that address racism and other oppressions that are root causes of poverty.
MLK VISTA intends to...
- Collaborate and find solutions to end poverty by working with all people and cultures – with an emphasis on communities of color.
- Be accountable to the people we serve, and do work that is relevant to the health and wellbeing of the community.
- Support, cultivate and nurture the natural leadership that exists within the communities we serve.
- Empower community members to have ownership in the activities, programs and decision-making processes of organizations that impact their wellbeing.
- Review institutionalized systems and structures that create barriers and uphold environments that keep people in poverty.
- Create a learning community that builds together by supporting and challenging one another with a commitment to personal growth.
- Continually incorporate lessons learned from people affected by poverty and racism, including but not limited to community elders, social justice and undoing racism scholars and educators.
MLK VISTA believes...
All people have the right to food, shelter, social justice and opportunity.
Our community has the resources and ability to end poverty.
Racism perpetuates poverty. To end poverty, we must undo racism.
Community interest, input and ownership are key to the development, growth and expansion of the community. True solutions to community issues are found within its citizens.
Power rests within the citizens of each community’s experiences. Therefore, the best evaluators of a community’s true condition lie in the wisdom of its members.
Why join MLK VISTA?
MLK VISTA is about building a learning community and developing leadership with each other. You can expect to be a part of a team that consistently challenges and pushes each other. However, MLK VISTAs know how to have fun too! Look forward to great trainings, afternoon barbeques, or even a group yoga session. We believe this combination makes for a rewarding year of service and is foundational to the way we approach doing work based on accountable relationships. Each MLK VISTA's input is highly valued in helping to set the tone and shape the overall experience for your year with us.
We have 20 innovative community projects that grant gainful work and volunteer experience in fund development, community outreach, volunteer coordination, program development, youth empowerment and community capacity building. Positions provide you the chance to help expand program capacity and build sustainability for future years.
MLK VISTAs are developers, coordinators, organizers and contributors. We are capacity builders, creating change and sustainability in conjunction with the expertise of organizations, their communities and their members.
Member benefitsMLK VISTAs receive a $1,058/month living allowance (before taxes) with the choice of a $5,550 educational award OR a one-time $1,500 stipend at the end of your year of service. We also offer health benefits, daycare assistance, food benefits (food stamps), and access to other resources. You'll also receive a year of free professional and personal development training and workshops.
Mailing MLK VISTA
Address: Solid Ground
1501 North 45th Street
Seattle, WA 98103-6708